We were recently made aware of a grassroots organizing efforts among Horizon Air mechanics who were interested in having Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) become their union representation. We were truly surprised by the collection of authorization cards from the workgroup in favor of AMFA, but are honored by the gesture.
For those who aren’t familiar, AMFA is the only craft-specific, independent aviation union representing aircraft maintenance technicians within the entire industry. We currently represent Southwest Airlines AMTs, whose contract sets the standard for pay and benefits in the industry. We also represent Alaska Airlines AMTs, many of whom work beside you on property — and now has the 2nd highest pay among AMTs in the industry for union-represented groups, thanks to a new contract.
We will not denigrate Horizon Air’s current representation — we will simply present facts about AMFA’s operations:
- Members elect AND can recall all officers
- Members must approve any changes to our constitution or bylaws, including proposed dues increases
- Dues rate is the lowest in the industry — two times your base hourly wage
- AMFA negotiated for and represents the two of the highest paid AMT groups among commercial passenger carriers: Southwest #1 and Alaska #3
- AMFA has won tens of thousands of dollars in outsourcing grievances
- AMFA has open contract negotiations where member observers can watch negotiations, holding the company and their union accountable
- AMFA maintains highly trained NTSB aircraft accident/incident “Go Teams” to protect our members’ interests
- AMFA has established a Professional Standards Program and trains representatives for these positions.
Since receiving the signed authorizations cards, we filed on your behalf with the National Mediation Board (NMB) and a representation election has been authorized. The election will be conducted by Telephone Electronic Voting and Internet Voting. The Notice and Sample Instructions were sent out on July 24, 2019. The NMB Voting Instructions will be emailed to all eligible Horizon Air employees on July 31, 2019, and the voting period will run from 12:01 AM EST on July 31 through 2:00 PM EST on August 21, 2019, the day of the tally.
AMFA awaits the results of the vote.